MEETING DATES AND TOPICS:
The Integration Steering Committee for EMS/Fire services is currently underway. These meetings are work sessions and therefore discussion may be free ranging. There will be no recordings or minutes, but written meeting summaries will be available afterwards. Any confidential topics will be announced, having been previously approved by the Boards.
We will post meeting information as quickly as possible.
July 29, 2019, 9:00 a.m. at the Fire District No. 3 front conference room (1011 Mullis Street).
July 15, 2019, 8:30 a.m. at the Fire District No. 3 front conference room (1011 Mullis Street).
- 7/15/19 ISC Meeting Agenda (DRAFT)
- Licensing committee report 7/12/19
- 7/15/2019 Meeting Brief (contains all briefs up to this point)
July 1, 2019, 9:00 a.m. at Fire District No. 3 front conference room (1011 Mullis Street).
- 7/1/2019 ISC Meeting Agenda
- Two reports were made: (a) Messaging subcommittee and (b) Board size committee recommendation (Cardinale / Smith)
- 7/1/2019 Meeting Brief (contains all briefs up to this point)
June 17, 2019, 11:00 a.m. at Fire District No. 3 front conference room (1011 Mullis Street).
- The committee reviewed the GANTT chart (all dates/times on the chart are only thought exercises at this point). You may have to zoom in to read it. This is a draft. A mind map of the project is also available here.
- 6/17/2019 ISC Meeting Agenda
- 6/17/2019 ISC Meeting Brief (contains all briefs up to this point)
May 13, 2019, 8:30 a.m. at Fire District No. 3 front conference room (1011 Mullis Street).
- 5/13/2019 ISC Meeting Agenda
- 5/13/2019 ISC Meeting Brief (contains all briefs up to this point).
- Update from K. Kuetzing on EMS Licensing for Fire District No. 3
April 29, 2019, 3:00 p.m. at SJCPHD#1 Business Offices (849 Spring Street Unit B-5).
This committee includes (click names to send email, or right click and select “copy email address” and paste into your email client):
- Duncan Wilson, Administrator, Town of Friday Harbor
- Norvin Collins, Administrator, San Juan County Fire Protection District No. 3
- Karl Kuetzing, Administrator, San Juan Island Emergency Medical Services
- Rebecca Smith, Commissioner, San Juan County Public Hospital District No. 1
- Frank Cardinale, Commissioner, San Juan County Fire Protection District No. 3
Administrative and logistics assistance from Nathan Butler. Please direct questions and requests for information about the committee to him at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at (360) 378-2857. Statements that you wish to be distributed to all members can be sent to him as well. You may also contact individual members directly.
Following extensive public review by the Citizen’s Advisory Group (link to page), the release of their 117 page report recommending integration of EMS and Fire services on San Juan Island, and a report to the combined Boards (San Juan County Public Hospital District No. 1, San Juan County Fire Protection District No. 3 and two representatives from the Town of Friday Harbor) on April 2, 2019, the combined Boards along with the Town of Friday Harbor established a Steering Committee to begin working on an implementation plan to propose to the involved government entities.
The Boards of San Juan County Public Hospital District No. 1 on April 24, 2019 (link to approved document) and San Juan County Fire Protection District No. 3 on April 10, 2019 (link to approved document) both passed some ground rules governing this steering committee and how it relates to the public and reports back to the Boards. Namely that:
“Board and Council Inclusion
It is essential that this steering committee include both the respective Boards/council. Elected officials can be apprised of committee activities through the following means:
- Regular reports of every meeting written by Nathan Butler
- Monthly reports by agency executives at Board/Council meetings as desired
- Monthly reports by commissioner delegates at Board/Council meetings as desired
- Employees on the Steering Committee are authorized to discuss all committee activities with all commissioners and answer questions
We do not believe that recording audio is necessary for these meetings, nor do we think that formal minutes will be suitable for the types of work sessions that these meetings will involve.
It is essential that this steering committee include the public. The public can be included in the following ways:
- All meetings are by default public
- Meetings will be scheduled in advance, posted on a website(s) (TBD) and/or announced at Board/Council meetings as desired
- Written meeting reports given to the Boards can also be made public
There will be some topics which cannot be discussed publicly. We would like to be open about those topics and propose that we submit those topics in advance for Board approval in public session as confidential discussions much like how the topic of an executive session is announced. This is not legally required but is important to show good faith with the public.
We ask that the following topics be approved for private discussion: legal counsel, tax rates, discussions about the union or employees, and patient centric/specific quality control issues (where HIPAA may be a concern). All final recommendations will be public.
Further topics for private discussion will be submitted to the Boards for approval in open session as needed. Decisions about what is permissible for confidential discussion can only be applied to that Agency’s representatives.”