At the end of 2017 the Life Care Center of the San Juan Islands closed its doors, displacing many of our neighbors, friends, and family. The community has been seeking a solution to the loss of this facility and its services to some of our community’s most vulnerable residents ever since.
On August 28th, San Juan County Public Hospital District No. 1 announced its intent to acquire the Village at the Harbor for the purpose of providing and expanding long term care services. To proceed with this acquisition, the hospital district will require additional funding derived from a voter approved levy lid lift. The District has placed a levy lid lift measure on the November General Election ballot.
If approved, this measure would increase the hospital district’s levy from $0.34 per $1,000 in assessed value to $0.70 (see also proposed levy levy lid lift) and would provide the funding necessary to proceed with the acquisition of the Village at the Harbor. If the measure is not approved, the hospital district will be unable to proceed with the acquisition at this time.
If approved by the voters, funds from this levy increase will:
- Immediately subsidize 4 to 6 Medicaid beds
- Fund the expansion of more capacity
- Support wages and benefits to retain staff and/or recruit additional staff
- Create a first-of-its kind home-based program to help seniors age in place
- Pay the debt service on a bond to acquire the Village at the Harbor.
The annual cost increase to taxpayers for this lid lift, if passed, will be as follows:
|Property Value||Total Annual Increase|
- 2022 to 2026 Village at the Harbor and Hospital District Proposed Budget (best viewed in excel where notes can be viewed)
- 2022 to 2026 Village at the Harbor and Hospital District Proposed Budget Narrative
- Letter of Intent to Purchase Village at the Harbor
- Resolution 21-552 Single Year Lid Lift
- Press Release dated 7/29/21
- Frequently Asked Questions (8/19/21)