At the end of 2017 the Life Care Center of the San Juan Islands closed its doors, displacing many of our neighbors, friends, and family. The community has been seeking a solution to the loss of this facility and its services to some of our community’s most vulnerable residents ever since.
On July 28th, San Juan County Public Hospital District No. 1 announced its intent to acquire the Village at the Harbor for the purpose of providing and expanding long term care services. To proceed with this acquisition, the hospital district placed a levy lid lift measure on the November General Election ballot.
On November 2nd, the public voted to approve the levy lid lift which will provide the funding necessary to proceed with the acquisition of the Village at the Harbor. The lid lift allows the Hospital District to move forward with its plans, which will:
- Immediately subsidize 4 to 6 Medicaid beds
- Fund the expansion of more capacity
- Support wages and benefits to retain staff and/or recruit additional staff
- Create a first-of-its kind home-based program to help seniors age in place
- Pay the debt service on a bond to acquire the Village at the Harbor.
As stated in the Hospital District’s November 8, 2021 Press Release, the Hospital District wants to thank the public for their trust in funding the expansion of long-term care on San Juan Island.
Please come back to this page often in the days and months to come as plans develop.
Most of these are downloads. You may need to change your browser settings to enable downloading them.
- Press Release dated 11/8/21: Election Results and the Hospital District
- Press Release dated 10/11/21: Long Term Care and the Hospital District – explains origins of the project and background, as well as factual information about the lid lift
- Frequently Asked Questions (8/19/21)
- 2022 to 2026 Village at the Harbor and Hospital District Proposed Budget (best viewed in excel where notes can be viewed)
- 2022 to 2026 Village at the Harbor and Hospital District Proposed Budget Narrative This narrative document explains the budget in essay format. For those who want detail this is a perfect place to start.
- 2019 Survey final report, on need for long-term care
- 2019 Survey Summary, on need for long-term care
- Letter of Intent to Purchase Village at the Harbor
- Resolution 21-552 Single Year Lid Lift
- Press Release dated 7/29/21 – announcement regarding lid lift